Friday, February 15, 2008

Next Contestant

Well, Friends, here you go! The long anticipated story of my first marriage proposal. Yes, I say 'first' because I am certain I will get another one. Either that, or die an old maid.

You should understand that it is not unusual for African man to ask an American girl to marry him, without even knowing them previously. They ask because marrying an American girl is a free ticket to America. I don't know if they really expect the girls to say yes or what, but despite rejection, they ask. This happened to a friend of mine last time I was here (she did say no, by the way), so I was kind of expecting it. Still, when the moment actually came I was slightly shocked.

I met Emmanuel the first Sunday evening I was here. He is a student at Westminster Theological Seminary, which is on the same property as the school where I am working. After service he came up and was talking to me. He asked me where I was from, what things I was interested in, etc. Harmless enough questions. But when he started asking me about when I want to get married, if I could marry an African, and saying that marriage is a gift from God, I did start to get a little worried. I ended that conversation as quickly as I could!

The following Tuesday (yes, two days later) I was waiting after school for the Ebys to take me back home. Emmanuel came up and was talking to me again. Believe me, I was thrilled. He started off by saying that he had seen me with all the school children. "You have a gift, a way with children. I pray to God that you will stay in Uganda and do His work here." I'm thinking "Well, that is kinda nice but kinda creepy" but I said something like "I don't know if I could stay in Uganda. I would miss my family so much. It would be very hard."

Emmanuel then asked me about my family, and since I really love my family and am very proud of them, I (the fool that I am) pulled out my little photo album and showed him pictures of my family and friends. "You have a very nice family." Emmanuel said. I agreed, of course. Then he said "When you go back home, you must tell your family 'I have a new friend in Uganda now'."

"I will tell them I have many new friends in Uganda." I said, thinking "I know exactly what you mean, buddy, but I'm not playing along."

"No, but you will tell them 'I have a special friend in Uganda who wants to take me back to marry him.'" Emmanuel said, looking at me very pointedly. He has rather intent eyes.

I'm thinking "AHHHHHHH!" Now, I don't have much experience in refusing suitors so I didn't really know what to do. So I freaked out inwardly, basically pretended to be very busy with the little kids who were pulling on my bag and tried to ignore Emmanuel. It didn't work.

"Ruth, do you understand what I am saying?" He persisted. "Will you tell them that?"

I mumbled something like "No, I can't tell them that." I guess it didn't sound very convincing, because Emmanuel then said "Well, if it is God's will, it will be. You can't fight it." What do you say to that?

I didn't say much after that, just went and stood by Mrs. Eby. I figured guys wouldn't try and woo me if I was standing by her.

Sooo, that is my first big story. Emmanuel still talks with me, so I don't know if there will be a second offer from him. There is also Richard, a tall, dark, deep-voiced African who keeps trying to talk with me. He hasn't asked me yet, but I think he will. And then there is some suitor Unknown, who has been asking Aidah (the girl I teach with) about me. And if that isn't enough, just driving or walking around, men will wink and nod at me.

I always wondered what girls in books felt like, the ones who have a bazillion interested young men and are just the belle of the ball. I think I know a little bit now, and I really hate it. I don't like being the center of attention just because I am a young, white, and somewhat attractive female, who is completely single! Next time I come, I am going to take a picture with some male friend of mine and then tell everyone I have a boy-friend.

So, there is my story. I will keep you posted on my love life over here, and let you know if I get any more offers.

7 comments:

lydia said...

Haha! That's hilarious...and awkward!! :) Oh man, well I'm glad you are doing well despite the unwanted proposals. hehe Love you girl! You are in my prayers. -lyd

Megan McGee said...

My oh, my. I'm not surprised! ;) Hopefully all the suitors won't drive you too crazy. ;) It does make for a great story, though! love you girly and am so excited things are going well! Praying for and miss you muchly!

Anonymous said...

Go my Favorite Big Sister, Go!
I love you!

Brent said...

Hey Ruth... Sounds like your missionary-lessons are continuing in earnest. I would wager that 100% of all female missionaries and 90%+ of all male missionaries face this. Be honest but firm. They can take it. We're praying for you!

Mom and Dad said...

Dear Ruth,

We miss you, but you already know that. I am going to Alaska tomorrow, meeting Grandma in Minneapolis.

Love, Dad

Unknown said...

Wow Ruth you're in high demand. Haha! Well, I hope you are having a great trip. Hope to hear from you soon.-little bro, Caleb

dcp said...

Great Story! Thanks for sharing it so well. We have heard similar stories from others too!!! We love you and are praying for you.
The Phippens