Thursday, February 7, 2008

From My Side of the World

Greetings from Africa,

Well, I think I warned you that I am very bad at keeping up blogs. See what I mean? I am sorry that I haven't written sooner. The internet has been down a couple of times, and is slower all of the time. I'm not complaining, I am just trying to make good excuses for myself. I really could have written sooner, but you know me, I have trouble coming up with the right words
to say.

I got to Uganda safely, minus my camera. I had it when I left, so I think that it fell out on my second flight. I will be in touch with the airline to see if they have it, but if you don't see any pictures up here, that is why.

My first two days, Saturday and Sunday, were relaxing days. I was able to get over jet-lag fairly quickly, see some friends from last time I was here, and get to meet many new people. Would you believe it, I've met an old-time TeenPacter from South Carolina here in Uganda! She is a teacher at a international Christian school over here, and I enjoyed connecting with her.

I came over here, not knowing exactly what to expect or what I would be doing. I found out on Monday that I would helping my friend Aidah (I know her from my past visit) teach P1 (Primary 1: First Grade). Tuesday was my first day of teaching, since Monday was busy registering all the students. So for now, I am being an assistant teacher to Aidah. That is, I am
trying to assisist her. Obviously I have never done this before, so I don't really know what I am doing. Plus, these young kids can't speak much English at all, and the little they can speak I have troubleunderstanding. Aidah is very sweet and says that I am being helpful, but I mostly just feel incapable. The children are absolutely adorable, and like to laugh at the silly faces I make or things I do before class starts. I sang to them before school started yesterday morning, just songs like "My God is so Big" or "Deep and Wide". I want to teach them the Bird Song from the TeenPact One day. I think they would like that.

The level I teach goes from 8-1, and then my afternoons are free. The school does have a quilting class for older students. That class starts again next week from 4-5 in the evening, and I would like to be involved in that. I don't know if I can't really teach them anything, but I would like to try.

The other teachers are Aidah, Maria, Sarah, Susan, Tony, Amil, and Patrick (the principal). They are all very nice. I know Amil from my last visit, and he is just the sweetest, most humble man I know. Susan is especially lively and out-going. She brought me true Uganda coffee yesterday during the break. It had coffee grounds floating in it, and LOTS of sugar, but it
was surprisingly good. Tony has lent me a book to help me learn Luganda, so I will be studying that. I am getting to know the others.

Over all, I am doing well. I'm feeling very healthy and am taking my vitamins and malaria medication medicine every day like a good girl. I still don't feel like I fit in, not only because my white skin is shiningly obvious, but because this is all so unknown. It's not home, it's not church, it's not TeenPact, where people know me and my sense of humor, my quirkyness, or what makes me tick. It is getting better, but I still feel out of place. Mostly I feel incapable, I
guess. I feel like I don't really have anything to offer and can't truly help. I want to be a blessing, and actually help, but I don't feel like I'm doing that. And then I realize how vain I am. I want to be able to contribute something so I know that I am valuable, so I get praised, so I feel worthwhile, etc. Well, I've been praying for humility and guess what! God is answering.

I know that I am in your prayers, but I would ask that you pray especially for me to be humble, to be content, that I would figure out my role here. Please pray that I would be a blessing, but that it would be for the right reasons. And finally, please pray forunderstanding. That I would learn some Luganda very quickly and that I would be able to understand when people speak to me in English. Often I can't understand because of their accent, and I hate having to say "What?" or just smile and nod.

I am so thankful to have friends like you! Thanks for all your support and prayers. I miss you all and look forward to seeing you when I get home.

I will try my best to update this more frequently. Tune in soon to hear the story of my first marriage proposal (believe me, you don't want to miss this one!).

- Ruth

3 comments:

Brent said...

You rock, Ruth! Something about Amsterdam and cameras? One of our team members lost a camera in the airport, but it was found and returned. Hope you have the same good providence. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Anonymous said...

My Lady,
I was so glad to see you had posted. It's nice to have an update. Such a teaser! You know I'm hardly surprised, based on what you have told me before about proposals, but I'm dying to hear all the circumstances! Love you!

Your Kate

Megan McGee said...

Hey dearest,
Thanks so much for updating us all! I've been eagerly watching for your post. :) So glad to hear that you arrived safely and such. I will definatly be praying for those requests. I can imagine that it is quite a growing experience! ;) I cannot wait to hear about how God uses you.
love and hugs,
megan